Procurement: Legal Issues and Contract Law
Presented By Leslie Marell, Esq.
Understanding contract law has become an essential part of conducting our daily business functions. This seminar was designed in collaboration with Purchasing Managers for buyers, purchasing managers, supply chain management, and anyone who deals with suppliers. Understand why the law is important in your role as a Buyer. Learn the legal and contract principles necessary to effectively contract with suppliers. Find out how to avoid legal disputes and when to seek legal advice. Learn the fundamentals and legal principles involved with writing and negotiating purchase orders and contracts.
Each attendee receives a comprehensive seminar manual (over 150 pages) which is the finest desk reference regarding the subject of Procurement: Legal Issues and Contract Law. It contains a glossary of legal terms in plain English and of importance to buyers, a collection of sample letters and contracts, and practical examples that can help you save your company money.
Now you can learn these important principles from a business lawyer who takes the “legal mumbo jumbo” out of dealing with contracts and the law.
Introduction to Contract and Business Law Terminology
- Definition of key terms and examples of their real world application:
- Explanation of Consequential and Incidental Damages, Indemnity, Implied Warranties, Disclaimers, Remedies at Law and Limitations of Liabilities
Creating a Binding Contract
- Important Elements of a Contract
The Uniform Commercial Code
- Differences in Contract Law between Goods (UCC) and Services (General Contract Law)
- Article 2: Sale of Goods
- Buyer’s & Seller’s rights and obligations under the UCC.
Key Contract Clauses
- Warranties/ Quality
- How they relate to the Statement of Work
- Express and Implied Warranties
- Time is of the Essence
Fighting the “Battle of the Forms”
- Guidelines in “fighting the battle”
- Key language to include in your PO
- Resolving discrepancies
Focusing on the Important Issues in your PO and Contract
- Exercises in identifying the major issues
Buyer’s Rights and Remedies under the UCC and General Contract Law
- Buyer’s rights upon Delivery
- Rights of Inspection and Rejection
- The Significance of Acceptance
- How a Buyer can Revoke Acceptance after it is given
- Damages Buyer is entitled to when Seller has breached
- Cover; Offset; and other Remedies at Law
Understanding the Seller’s Perspective
- Force Majeure
- Limitations of Liabilities
- Warranty Disclaimers
· The Damages Dilemma: The Buyer’s and Seller’s Perspectives
E-Commerce and Contracts
- Creating Contracts on-line
- Who has the Authority?
- Gain control over the “other buyers” in your organization.
- Trade Secrets; Copyrights; Trademarks; Patents
- Work for Hire and Assignments
- How to Protect your IP and make sure it remains (or becomes) yours
- Non-Disclosure Agreements
|About the Speaker
Leslie S. Marell is an attorney and expert in sales and purchasing contract law and software licensing with a gift for communicating and entertaining. She brings her business contract knowledge to the corporate classroom in lively and valuable seminars, translating “legal mumbo jumbo” into understandable, useful concepts in an entertaining and humorous way.
Leslie has practiced business and commercial law in California for over 25 years, and has presented seminars and seminars throughout the country for over 20 years to thousands of purchasing, sales, and marketing professionals. She has given in-house presentations on topics addressing contractual issues in Business Law, Contract Law, and Software Licensing to companies such as Abbott Laboratories, Apple, Eastman Chemical, Goodrich, Hewlett Packard, Hitachi Data Systems, John Deere, Kohler, MasterFoods, Mitsubishi, PCC Structurals, SpaceX, Texaco, Unum Insurance, University of California, Los Angeles and San Diego, Unocal, and Verizon. She is a frequent speaker at the Institute of Supply Management International Conference and their local affiliates, the Electronics’ Independent Sales Representative’s Association, Manufacturer Agents’ National Association (MANA), and local trade associations.
Leslie is a practicing attorney in the Los Angeles area (Marell Law Firm) specializing in the areas of business contracts, software license agreements, employment law, and day to day business/ legal matters. She provides contract review for a client list that has included companies such as AMD, FMC, Mitsubishi, US Borax, and Southern California Edison. She has published articles on contract law, business law, and intellectual property law; co-authored Purchasing Handbook – A Guide for the Purchasing & Supply Professional published by McGraw-Hill; and authored periodic legal columns for Electronic Buyers’ News (EBN) and Inside Supply Management magazine.
Leslie’s seminars are a blend of lecture, coaching, clear communication, anecdotal humor, and audience participation and include real case studies.
Seminar — Procurement: Legal Issues and Contract Law
To register click above or call Carol Street at 818-312-7694, email: firstname.lastname@example.org